- E. Paul Torrance Professor of Creativity and Gifted Education
Torrance Center for Creativity and Talent Development
- Reality-fiction distinction
- Mental time travel
- Mental state reasoning
- Self-referential thinking
- Social cognition & behavior
- Neuroscience of creativity (fMRI; EEG/ERP; neuropsychology)
- Psychology of creativity (cognition; development across lifespan; personality)
- Cross-disciplinary study of the imagination (aesthetics, imagery, intentionality, altered states)
- PhD in Neuroscience, 2004
Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
- MSc in Psychology, 2001
University of Essex, UK
- BA (Hons) in Psychology, 1998
Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi, India
Professor Abraham studies the cognitive and brain basis of creativity and other aspects of the human imagination including the reality-fiction distinction, mental time travel, self-referential and social cognition, and mental state reasoning. Her educational and professional training has been within the disciplines of psychology and neuroscience, and she has worked across a diverse range of academic institutions and departments the world over, all of which have informed her multidisciplinary focus.
- Abraham A (Ed) (2020). The Cambridge Handbook of the Imagination. Cambridge University Press.
- Abraham A (2018). The Neuroscience of Creativity. Cambridge University Press.
- Asquith SA, Wang X, Quintana D & Abraham A (in press). Predictors of Creativity in Young People: Using Frequentist and Bayesian Approaches in Estimating the Importance of Individual and Contextual Factors. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts.
- Abraham A (2019). The neuropsychology of creativity. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences, 27, 71-76.
- Abraham A, Asquith S, Ahmed H & Bourisly AK (2019). Comparing the efficacy of four brief inductions in boosting short-term creativity. Journal of Cognitive Enhancement, 3, 85-93.
- Abraham A (2018). The wandering mind: Where imagination meets consciousness. Journal of Consciousness Studies. 25, 34-52.
- Abraham A, Rutter B, Bantin T & Hermann C (2018). Creative conceptual expansion: A combined fMRI replication and extension study to examine individual differences in creativity. Neuropsychologia, 118, 29-39.
- Abraham A (2016). The imaginative mind. Human Brain Mapping, 37, 4197-4211.
- Abraham A (2016). Gender and creativity: An overview of psychological and neuroscientific literature. Brain Imaging & Behavior, 10, 609-618.
- Abraham A & Bubic A (2015). Semantic memory as the root of imagination. Frontiers in Psychology, 6, 325.